If you require services beyond the scope of what we can provide or would prefer to receive treatment off campus, we will refer you to community providers. There are several well-regarded mental health professionals (e.g., psychologists, counselors, social workers, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners) within walking distance of campus and in the local community who often work with Vassar students.
For more information about the referral process and working with your insurance company, check out our Referral Process handout.
Using Your Insurance
We also recommend that you contact your insurance company for additional information about your benefits and coverage. Once you log on to your online insurance portal, you will see a Find a Provider option. You can click that to find mental health professionals in the area who take your insurance.
To search for a provider using the Vassar student health insurance, use their website to explore options, click here.
Online Local Mental Health Provider Database
Vassar College Counseling Service has partnered with Thriving Campus, an online resource that helps you access and connect with off-campus mental health care. Visit vassar.thrivingcampus.com from your computer or mobile device to: browse and filter providers based on your needs and preferences, get answers to common questions, and reach out to community providers and connect with mental health care.
Students have online access to a licensed counselor through BetterHelp, a national virtual counseling service. By visiting www.counseling4students.com, students can speak with counselors who will be available to you via ongoing text communications, live chat, phone, video or groupinars. This service is free if you have the student insurance, and $40-70 fee per week if you don't.
Please feel free to call (845-437-5700) or schedule a visit with a VCCS therapist for individualized recommendations based your needs and our knowledge of local providers.
Other Local Mental Health Resources
***Please note that this should not be construed as an endorsement of any particular mental health provider/service.***
This website has a robust listing of local therapists, psychiatrists, groups and treatment facilities. Go to https://www.psychologytoday.com/ and use the drop down options on the menu bar to access their directory. ***Please note that this should not be construed as an endorsement of any particular mental health provider/service on Psychology Today.***
This is an online space dedicated to encouraging the mental wellness of Black women and girls. There are great resources including a directory of local therapists: https://www.therapyforblackgirls.com/
- 845-457-7333. Ask to speak to the Counselor on Call.
- We have a 24/7 mental health hotline available to Vassar students during the academic year. This service is staffed by mental health professionals who have been trained to work with Vassar students. Metcalf therapists provide backup to Protocall as needed.
- Call or Text 845-485-9700
- The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
- Emergency Psychiatry Care: 845-431-8892
- 241 North Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
- Formerly St. Francis Hospital.
- When people are in crisis, the Stabilization Center serves as a safe, comforting place to come, talk to caring professionals, and get help for the immediate issue(s) plus those that may extend beyond their stay at the Center. First, the staff works with you to handle or lessen the issue(s) at hand. Then, they will personally connect you to the correct services and resources in our community that can you going forward. Their work with you is 100% transparent, planned with your input, and barrier-free.